Succinct answers to questions asked a lot about 22, calm, mindfulness, emotional health, and meditation.
What is 22?
22 is lying or sitting still for 22 minutes. During the exercise, you don’t move at all, you don’t even scratch an itch. It’s a discipline in stillness that brings calm and inner peace into your life. Do read more here.
Why 22 minutes and/or why the number 22?
The number 22 did come by pure accident - I just noticed I’d set the timer by that much for my third or so 22. And so I stuck with it. But then, I feel it coincides with a seemingly perfect timing for a practice like this. Here’s what I mean:
- Typical naps are advised for 20 minutes or so
- Most health and fitness programs have a 21-day effectiveness span - the number…
- Typical daily calisthenics/aerobics is advised for roughly 22 minutes per day, that is, if you follow the 150 minutes per week moderate exercise recommendation
- Some believe that within 15-18 minutes of vigorous exercise you should’ve made the heart beat fast enough to achieve the purpose of a typical exercise session each day, which may also be why
- Most meditation sessions are timed at 15 minutes or so, and
- Actually, most meditations/yoga sessions go for the number 22.
Over time, though, no length of time would give a sweeter spot, nor does any other numeral repetition sound so natural, calming. 11? 33? 44? But 22? Well, you tell me.
How do you do 22?
All you need to do 22 are a prepared mind, a body nonchalant, and a chair or couch or mat or bed that can support your sitting or lying comfortably. It’s really important to be comfortable and centered in the stance you take because you must stay in it for the rest of the 22 minutes. Do read more here.
Can 22 cure insomnia?
Neither yes nor no. If I say yes, where’s the science? And yet, if I say no, what about empirical evidences from people? And, not that I think that just doing 22 will get rid of insomnia and start making you sleep. I mean, insomnia can be symptomatic - you got to get to the root cause to get rid of it.
But 22 can engender the sort of calm that lets your body surrender to sleep and sleep, whether the mind likes it or not. A lot more on sleep here.
Is 22 meditation?
No. 22 is not meditation. But you can meditate with 22. By that I mean you can “focus on the breath”, you can think deeply about and make sense of something - an object, a person, a people, or an action - or you can just feel all the sensations you’re getting from the present moment without judging any during a session.
What if I just want to sleep or have a nap during 22?
Sleep, to me, is never something to resist. If anything, it is one thing we aren’t having enough of. So, first, go ahead, use 22 to sleep or have a nap. But then, is it that easy? Well, my practice has been the do nothing technique. So, if you want to just sleep or have a nap with 22, “doing nothing” is your best bet. Enjoy.
- I cannot help but fall asleep during 22!
I have a question that should be here!